After discharge from the army in 1947, I worked as a Shift Chemist for Courtaulds Ltd. in Wolverhampton until 1959.
The prospect of a lifetime of 3 shift work did not appeal to me and I successfully applied for a position as Technical Correspondent at Evode. Initially liaising between Mrs Carr and the Sales Office and Vasek (Vee) Vohralik, I soon transferred to the Laboratory as an Adhesives Development Chemist.
In 1971 I took over Adhesives Technical Service from Clive Beard when he left to join the Company's licensees in Canada. This was a most interesting job, varied and unpredictable from day to day, but occasionally marred by the intransigence of certain customers when the findings of an investigation into a complaint was not to their liking.
On one occasion an industrial firm had problems with a formulation I had originally recommended and would not accept that these were caused by faulty application -adhesive starvation resulting in a non-coalescence in this case. Their claim against us kept rising until it reached £66,000.00, if I remember correctly. The validity of their claim collapsed when we received a request for the same adhesive for a similar purpose and we were told that it had been recommended to them by our complainant!! Presumably they had been able to overcome their faulty application technique, but were still hoping to 'cash-in' and charge Evode for their remedial work.
A couple of unusually interesting projects come to mind. Firstly visiting the Scottish Highlands with David Ward at the request of the Hydroelectricity Board to look at a lining to the inside of an experimental length of concrete pipeline in an attempt to counteract the effects of developing corrosion. Unfortunately this was not successful and no business resulted.
Secondly, at the request of Anthony Cobbold whose friend (Major Mintner Kemp I seem to remember) was to take part in a single handed transatlantic yacht race, we fixed Flotex carpeting to the cabin and deck of the yacht to provide improved foot holding in heavy weather. This is particularly memorable because it almost ended in disaster when a welder suddenly lit the torch a few feet away from where John Gooch and I were using a highly inflammable adhesive. We quickly persuaded him to do his welding a little later for everyone's sake!!