1950

Although the move back to Glover Street had taken place in 1946 and Evode now occupied all available factory premises there was now a critical shortage of space. The increasing volume of orders together with the range of new products, were starting to create production problems. The office accommodation was situated in an old house and horse stables which had been built around 1920 for the original shoe factory owners. Only Dr. Simon had a small office to himself which was only just big enough to accommodate his desk, filing cabinet and a safe. Over the past three years a number of sites had been examined which included a war time ordnance factory near Stone, Airfield buildings at Hixon and others within a 10 mile radius of Stafford. It is possible that some of these locations were not suitable or a Board of Trade Industrial Development Certificate could not be obtained and it very nearly came about that an offer for land near Crayford in Essex was accepted. The possibility of Evode moving out of Stafford must have created great concern to Stafford County Council who eventually offered a 9 1/2 acre former brickworks freehold site in the Marston parish of Stafford.

The anglicising of the Angiers formulations were causing considerable problems and Mr. E. Peak together with Mr. Ken Wood, who was his laboratory assistant, had a very difficult time trying to overcome many problems arising from the use of English or continental raw materials. The most serious defect with the Angiers contact adhesive formulation (probably SH 12) which was based on "Nitrile" rubber, was that it was prone to gellation on storage and could not be stocked with any confidence. Before this defect was resolved it required a considerable amount of development work to reformulate the Angiers product to utilise a different synthetic rubber - "Neoprene" -. The new formulation was given the laboratory number 528. A press review at the end of 1950 of the progress made by local companies makes reference in the Lotus Ltd article to the old fashioned "machine sewn" shoes being replaced by "stuck on" upper and soles using synthetic rubber adhesives. A Photostat of this article appears in {_62_}

The press review for Evode Ltd states that turnover has increased by 45% over the previous year and 1950 proved to be a very successful year. A copy of the article appears in {_63_} together with a photograph of Dr. Simon taken in his office in Glover Street.