Early in January discussions took place with the Board of Trade representatives and it was decided to appoint two additional directors {_24_}. The board of directors would then include four British citizens and this would help to strengthen the case being made to gain the release of Dr. Simon as well as the withdrawal of the board of trade control over the company. At a meeting of the directors held on the 16th April 1941 it was reported that Dr. Simon had been released from internment on the 3rd April 1941. He recommenced his service on the 30th May 1941 and it was agreed that his salary be raised to £15 per week. Upon his return he found that the company had suffered a severe setback during his absence and the profit and loss account for the six months ending 31st March 1941 showed a very poor state of affairs. A letter to Mr. Forman explaining why the profits were only £190 is shown in {_25_} . Dr. Simon knew that Ministry of Defence approval for his Building Chemical Products was essential in order for the company to survive. Much time and effort was spent supplying samples to Government authorities and providing independant test results such as shown in {_26_} . He visited many large raw material suppliers to persuade them to give Evode an allocation. Most of the time he was successful in getting at least a weekly delivery of a few hundredweight or a few gallons etc. of materials. For the manufacture of "Mellitol" and "Portite" an essential raw material was cement which was being supplied to builders on very strict allocation. Each week Dr. Simon would visit the local builders to see whether they could spare one or two bags of cement which were then loaded into the car boot and so another few days production was ensured. One of the first products to receive approval from the Ministry of Defence was Evode Frost Protective 101 TS. An early leaflet for this product is shown in {_27_} . The requirement for this product was increasing with orders now coming from the Ministry of Works Contractors around the country. The reason for the demand, particularly over the winter months, is shown in {_28_} which describes the urgent need the country had for airfields. The formulation for Evode Frost Protective is given in {_29_} and is taken from Mr. Lawton's formulation book.

The Raw Material G 447 is flaked Calcium Chloride and was supplied by Imperial Chemical Industries but our demand for this chemical grew at such a pace, that in 1942/3 even I.C.I. could not keep up with our requirements. Another supplier was then found but this grade was much more difficult to handle being in a solid form. In October 1941 Mr. Forman was released from detention and rejoined the company immediately. He became quickly involved in organising production as well as assisting Dr. Simon with the day to day administration. Mr. Forman has vividly described in his history of the company how Evode Frost Protective was produced and also the working conditions at that time. An extract of his notes is reproduced in {_30_} . As a young chemist in Germany, Dr. Simon had acquired considerable knowledge of Bituminous Emulsions and their use for waterproofing concrete structures. He had introduced a number of these emulsions into the "Dove" product range under the trade name "Insulating Paste". Two early leaflets printed in 1943 are shown in {_31_}{_33_}.

Although small quantities of these products had been sold over the past two years, a very important need was soon to arise. As the nightly attacks on London by the German Air Force increased in intensity, millions of gallons of ready at-hand water were needed for fire fighting. Engineers were ordered by the Ministry of Works to turn gutted basements into reservoirs. Hastily, bomb sites were cleared, the sides and bottoms of basements were concreted and then filled with water. These crudely built static water tanks were unsuccessful as the concrete was porous and the precious water gradually seeped into the ground. Dr. Simon knew he had an answer to this problem and he therefore sent his Sales Manager with information on Evode Insulating Pastes to see the Ministry of Works Engineers in London.

The Ministry, which had suffered the mutual recriminations of contractors and material suppliers over the leaking static water tank , would only agree to trials with the Evode Material if the company undertook to apply the treatment. This Dr. Simon agreed to do and six newly concreted basements were allocated for the trials. Although he had no practical experience of carrying out such work and neither had anyone else at Evode at that time, he set off in his car for London with a load of materials and the equipment (sweeping brooms and buckets) to apply the product. The rest of the labour force, comprising of his Sales Manager and two of the part time male nurses who helped in the factory, (these two workmen had taken a weeks holiday from the hospital) travelled down by train. After the work had been completed and the tanks filled, they were inspected by the Ministry of Works a week later who found that the water level was unchanged. The Evode Insulating Paste system had made the tanks watertight as Dr. Simon said it would and it's use was now approved by the Ministry of Works. Contracts were now being received for water proofing not only more static water tanks but air raid shelters as well. It now became necessary to set up a permanent contracts team in London to carry out this work. A labour force was recruited which consisted of Mr. Washer, his two sons and one other workman. The recollections of one of his sons Mr.E.Washer ( later to become an Evode Contractors Manager) of the start of his working life in 1941 are given in {_33_} .

The Ministry of Works now started to place contracts for similar waterproofing in other cities which were being subject to bombing raids. It was impossible for the London team to carry out all this work and so more teams were recruited. The waterproofing process was now extended to Hanger Roofs and water towers etc. and to administer these teams Evode Contracts Dept. was formed. A leaflet produced in about 1944 is shown in {_34_}.

At, the end of the 1941 Financial year the balance sheet shown in {_35_} indicated that the progress achieved in the previous year had not been maintained. The directors felt however, that taking into account the cost of moving the company from Glover Street to Stone Road and the consequent building work which had to be carried out, the financial results could be considered satisfactory. The company could have made a much greater loss as there was little or no production for a month whilst the move was taking place. Fortunately the very good sales volume over July to September helped to offset the lack of any production for a month