Dr. H. Simon arrived in Stafford in January 1938 and was just as dismayed at seeing the factory as Mr. Forman was in 1934. There were six employees and about 4000 sq. ft. of primitive building the roof of Which leaked badly in heavy rain and often flooded due to broken storm water drains.
Dr. Simon joined the company as its Chief Chemist and his aim was to improve the quality of the Shoe and Floor Polishes. But more important, he planned to produce many of the Chemical Products and Paints which he had successfully manufactured in Germany.
On the 9th February 1938 Dr. H. Simon was appointed a Director of the Company and at his first meeting of the Directors held on the 16th February 1938 Share Capital of the company was increased from £5000 to £7100.
At an extraordinary General Meeting held on the 23rd March 1938 Dr. H. Simon proposed that the name of the company be changed to Spic and Span Chemical Products Ltd. and this was approved. At this meeting Dr. Simon was allocated 1800 shares and arranged to make his first purchase of factory equipment a second hand Powder Mixer costing £18.
The Registration of the new company name was approved on the 19th May 1938.
Since his arrival Dr. Simon and Mr. Forman have been organising the factory and raw materials now began to arrive as also did Dr. Simon's first employee Mr. Cyril Lawton.
In early July the first product was manufactured in the factory by Dr. Simon and this was 4 gallons of Paint Remover produced in a large bucket and mixed with a broomstick. With the installation of the Powder Mixer trial batches of "Mellitol" took place. "Mellitol" was a cement waterproofer and was to become one of Dr. Simon's most successful products and is still being manufactured today under licence. The original formulation: Mr. C. Lawton describes the significance of Code Numbers rather than raw material names. It will be seen that frequent manufacture of "Mellitol" took place to fulfil trial orders and provide samples.
Another product which was to become a winner was "Portite" - a powder additive for precast concrete. The range of products formulated by Dr. Simon were now increasing to include Chlorinated Rubber and Bituminous Paints together with other building chemical products.
He also paid a great deal of attention to the Shoe and Floor Polish Production and would regularly check the quality. This he would do by taking a sample of the filled out polish and trying this on his shoes or if furniture polish, on his desk. During the war years it became increasingly difficult to get the wax blend correct, as many hard waxes were just not available. If he was not happy with the appearance of the polish in the tins or the application and gloss were not to his liking, hundreds of tins of polish would have to be scraped back into the electric polish vats for further additions of waxes.
Although his commitments to the factory and office/laboratory were increasing he felt that it was now time to carry out visits to the more important potential customers as seen in an itinerary organised by the newly appointed Sales Manager - Mr. L Fishburn. A typical sales letter written to Messrs. Croft Granite who were to become a very large customer for "Dove Mellitol"
At an Extraordinary General Meeting held on the 26th September. 1938 a special resolution was proposed by Mr. Forman, seconded by Dr. H. Simon that the name of the company be changed to "Dove Chemical Products Ltd". The certificate of registration was received on the 12th Oct. 1938
With the new company name now registered, the company stationary was changed and the preparation of leaflets etc. was now undertaken. Mr. Forman translated the German texts of leaflets which Dr. Simon had brought with him and this was done in Dr. Simon's home during evenings and weekends. It was admitted by Mr. Forman who had no knowledge of chemistry, that with the little English Dr. Simon spoke they made a proper mess of some of the texts. Because in those early days no photographs of successful jobs existed, some leaflets contained illustrations of work carried out with the product in Germany and some of the workmens clothing was definitely not English.