Evode Industries



History of Evode Industries Limited

1954

Dr. Hermann Simon was introduced to Mr. Alex Buckley of Buckley's Motors [Hillmann Cars / Sole Agent for British Aircraft Corporation] and together they set up Evode Industries Limited with Alex Buckley owning 51% of the Company.

Dr Simon wished to create a company in Ireland to service the Shoe Industry but because of the Irish Control of Manufacturers Act it was not possible for another Country to own more than 50% of a Company in Ireland.

The name 'Evode' was derived from the word Dove with the 'e' added. Dr Simon had been the leading figure in Dove Polishes, prior to his association with Evode Industries.

Agreement signed in 1955 with Evode Limited for the rights to use the name 'EVO-STIK' in Ireland.


1955

Driving through Swords one day Dr. Simon spotted a 'For Sale' sign on the premises ofKibro Ltd, a local sweet factory, adjacent to the well-known Lord Mayors Public House. This was subsequently bought for £9,250.00 .OOd and became the first Evode Industries premises.

On Wednesday, 8th June, The first Board meeting ofEvode Industries Limited was held at the offices of Lotus Shoes, Ireland at 2 Dawson Street, Dublin


First Board Members ofEvode Industries Limited were :

Mr. Alexander Buckley Dr. Hermann Simon Mrs Mary Dorney

The first Shareholders were:

Mr. Alexander Buckley Dr. Hermann Simon Dr. James Bostock Mr. Godfrey Bostock

Chairman Managing Director Director [ex Lotus Shoes]

Buckley Motors Evode Group Lotus Shoes Lotus Shoes.

Mr. Ken Wood appointed General Manager Evode Industries, Craig Gardner appointed company auditors.First year's trading profit was £1,459.03.7d331 and 332 were the company's two telephone numbers

Population of Swords was 1,629,

First premises in Northern Ireland acquired - company rented space from Heaton Floors. Later locations included Avondale industrial Estate, Ballyclare, Co Antrim and Loughbrook Development Estate in Newry.

1957

Agreement signed with Building Adhesives Limited to manufacture under licence Richafix Ceramic Tile Adhesive [later reformulated and named Bal-TadJ. This brand was replaced by CTA and Wall Tile Adhesive. Although Building Adhesives continued to sell their Bal range in Ireland, Evode cornered the market with its own new range and has done ever since.

1955-1962

Evode Industries Limited manufactured products mainly for the Shoe Industry but also manufactured a range of general adhesives.As Shoe Industry trading was showing signs of decline, Evode Industries decided to expand its product range. The company made plans to relocate and build a manufacturing base in order to produce a wider range of adhesives and sealants and broaden its customer base.

1964

Lands at Newtown, Swords purchased

1965

Building completed of the Evode Industries factory and offices

1965

Original premises sold to Irish Printing Inks and Evode Industries moved to Newtown in October

1968

Roof Waterproofing Division formed. This was in operation till 1982.